Originally I wasn’t going to post this Instant Pot Chow Mein recipe. I sat back and I started working on some other YouTube videos. It wasn’t until the family was asking for me to make it again I realized that it was a bigger hit than I thought it was.
I am a fan of making easy recipes. Weirdly enough, I CAN be bad at it. haha. Of course there are those dinners that I love to add, add, add, add to recipes. Anyone else experience this problem? As you will see, one of the best things about this recipe is MOST of these ingredients you will have in your house if you have (or like) to cook Asian inspired dinners / side dishes.
Inspiration for Instant Pot Chow Mein
Perhaps I should not title this section as “inspiration”. Kim and I both remember the days of being in college and tightly budgeting. As you might also remember, the days of ramen are days of trying to figure out how to “beef up” and “add too” a package of ramen. It was weird to have cravings for those salty noodles, but we both did.
As a little “here and then” side dish, this recipe is just perfect. For sure, it will give you nostalgia.
Instant Pot Chow Mein
- Instant Pot
- 3 Packages Top Ramen Seasoning packets thrown away
- 3 Garlic Cloves Sliced Thin
- 1 tsp Ginger Sliced Thin
- 1/4 Red Onion Sliced
- 1 Carrot Julienned ~5 Baby Carrots
- 1 Baby Bok Choy Sliced Washed
- 1/4 Red Bell Pepper Sliced Crosswise
- 3 Green Onions Sliced 1 saved for topping
- 12 oz Coleslaw Mix in a Bag Red and green cabbage and carrots
- 1.5 cups Chicken Broth
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Corn Starch
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper Fresh ground
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Peppers Optional
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Press Sauté on the instant pot .
- When Hot, add ~1 Tbsp Olive Oil to the Instant Pot.
- Add Carrots to the Instant Pot and sauté for ~2 minutes stirring occasionally .
- Add Red Onions to the carrots and let sauté for another minute.
- Add garlic and ginger to the pot and stir for ~30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth to the pot.
- Add Ramen noodles, I broke them up a bit to get them all touching the broth.
- Lid, Seal, and Pressure Cook for Zero minutes.
- Mix all sauce ingredients, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, hoisin sauce, black pepper, crushed red pepper, and corn starch.
- When the instant pot beeps, release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Stir in the sauce and all of the other vegetables (baby bok choy, red bell pepper, green onions, and coleslaw mix).
- Put the lid back on and let it sit for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are the softness you like them. I like the vegetables a little crisp so I do 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid after 5-7 minutes, stir, and serve.
Instant Pot-ing is our life!
Come join Dave as he cooks up breakfast, lunch, and dinner using our Instant Pot and Air Fryer. Enjoy some of the top favorites as: