Confession time. I (Dave) don’t really like chicken wings. They had always felt like they were SO MUCH WORK for SO LITTLE REWARD. However, Kim loves them. So I was on a mission to create some crispy air fried chicken wings.
The answer to the age old question eluded me: BBQ or Air Fry? Well, I can not pass up an opportunity to hone my air frying skills. I did spend years and years cooking ALL chicken on the BBQ. Off to the internet for some research I went!
Oh, and if you are looking for an Air Fryer, I highly recommend the CORSOI Air Fryer. We use it every single day.
Don’t Forget the Honey! Your Air Fried Chicken Wings will Thank You.
If I can recommend something to not skip over in this recipe, it is by FAR the “Hot Honey” sauce. Perfection. Absolute perfection. Even the kids liked it and I was a bit worried that they were going to be hollering “spicy!” after tasting it. Instead little fingers kept dipping into my side of honey all dinner long.
Oh boy! These were so good, I will never complain about chicken wings being “too much work” I will dive on it and enjoy every single bit with joy.
Dry Rubbed Air Fried Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer
- 2 lbs Chicken Wings non frozen and cut into segments
- Peanut Oil in spray bottle I use EVO oil spray bottle
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper fresh ground
- 1 Jalapeno chopped optional
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Celery Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Ground Mustard
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Red Peppers
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Paprika
- 2 Tbsp Corn Starch or Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1-2 tsp Chipotle Cholula Hot Sauce or your favorite hot sauce
- Mix buttermilk, jalapeno and black pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut through the joints of the chicken wings. Rolling the chicken wing as you push down toward the joint helps the blade find its way.
- Throw the little wing tips away and add the wing segments to the butter milk mixture.
- Let the wings marinate for at least an hour and up to 2 days covered in the refrigerator.
- Lay out the chicken wings on a large piece of parchment paper.
- Cover the wings in the rub, flip the wings over, and cover the wings in the rub again.
- Preheat your air fryer at 400°F for five minutes.
- Spray air fry basket and chicken wings with oil.
- Place chicken wings in air fryer basket oil side down and spray the wings again with oil.
- Air Fry the wings at 300°F for 20 minutes.
- Mix honey and Cholula hot sauce in a small bowl and set aside. You could also mix in a tsp of any left over rub for more flavor.
- Spray wings with oil, flip the wings, and spray the wings with oil again.
- Air Fry the wings at 350°F for 10 more minutes.
- Plate the chicken wings, pour on as much hot honey as you want and enjoy.
Looking for more?
We have tons more recipes on our blog! If you like this one, we recommend our Air Fried Chicken Katsu. I also put a new video out on YouTube every week. I highly recommend subscribing to our channel. Lots of good stuff over there.
We also love ourselves some Pinterest. Take a look at what we have pinned over there, or pin our recipes as well! Every little share helps us keep on making awesome videos and recipes for you.