I know the world loves stories before recipes, and by world I mean google (haha), but I sit here and I have a three year old begging to “type” on the iPad. So today’s story (as usual) is going to be pretty short. Which is a benefit for you because that means you get to hit the recipe fast without scrolling through a giant wall of text.
When I was a kid my dad used to make us mock chicken legs, it was one of my favorite dinners (with “daddy’s famous fried potatoes”). I kept on the tradition and have made mock chicken legs in a frying pan for years for Kim and the kids. It’s always been a hit!
Now that we living that good old trailer life, I am only cooking with the Instant Pot and Air Fryer (ohhh, and “cooking” with door dash as well, but shhhhhhh). I’ve been perfecting this recipe over the last year or so, and it’s finally ready to be formally written down (and video’ed). I did have to use lamb vs. veal, and to be honest I really did think that it was going to be a bust and I did all this work for nothing. HOW WRONG I WAS. They turned out AMAZING and honestly lamb might be my new go-to for Mock Chicken Legs forever.
I sure you hope you enjoy it as much as we did! PS – my video is up on YouTube, don’t forget to take a look and give it a “like” if you get a chance!
|1.5 lbs Ground Pork|
|1 lb Ground Veal or Lamb (I had to use lamb which worked great)|
|1 tsp Salt|
|1/2 tsp Black Pepper|
|2 tsp Brown or Yellow Mustard|
|1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce|
|1/2 Onion Diced|
|1 tsp Italian Seasoning|
|Skewers cut to fit in your instant pot|
|4 Eggs for the Wash|
|1.5 Cups Plain Bread Crumbs|
|2 Tbsp Olive Oil|
|1 Cup of Water|
- Mix in a medium to large mixing bowl: salt, pepper, mustard, worcestershire sauce, onion, italian seasoning, 1 egg, ground pork, and ground veal or lamb
- Form leg shaped patties, push one end of the skewer about halfway into the patty and use your hands to form a chicken leg shape around the skewer and repeat to use all of your meat mixture
- Beat 4 eggs with light salt and pepper on a plate and dump 1.5 cups of bread crumbs on another plate
- Wash your Mock Chicken Legs in the egg and then carefully press the legs into the bread crumbs
- Use a paper towel to rub down the inside of your instant pot with ~2 Tbsp of olive oil and add 1 cup of water to the pot
- Stand all of the formed mock chicken legs up inside the instant pot
- Lid, seal, and pressure cook for 8 minutes with a Natural Pressure Release for another 10 minutes
- Plate all Mock Chicken Legs
- Mix 2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 4 Tbsp of cooking fluid from the instant pot
- Press Sauté and mix in your cornstarch slurry
- Add a little salt and pepper, stir, and taste to make sure your gravy is perfect
- Stir and simmer until the gravy is velvety, then cancel your saute mode on your instant pot
- Pour as much gravy as you want on your plated Mock Chicken Legs and dig in!
PS – We were not able to make daddy’s famous fried potatoes but we did make some air fried potato chips that were a pretty darn good substitute.