I know the world loves stories before recipes, and by world I mean google (haha). However, I sit here and I have a three year old begging to “type” on the iPad. So today’s story (as usual) is going to be pretty short. Which, to be fair, is a benefit for you because that means you get to hit the recipe fast without scrolling through a giant wall of text. Scroll down for the full Instant Pot Mock Chicken recipe.
When I was a kid my dad used to make us mock chicken legs (also known as City Chicken). Oh boy! To top it off, the best side to go with Mock Chicken legs is “daddy’s famous fried potatoes”. I kept on the tradition and have made mock chicken legs in a frying pan for years for Kim and the kids. It’s always been a hit!
New life & a new way to cook Instant Pot Mock Chicken
Now that we living that good old trailer life, I am only cooking with the Instant Pot and Air Fryer. (ohhh, and “cooking” with door dash as well, but shhhhhhh). I’ve been perfecting this recipe over the last year or so, and it’s finally ready to be formally written down (and video’ed). I did have to use lamb vs. veal, and to be honest I really did think that it was going to be a bust and I did all this work for nothing. HOW WRONG I WAS. They turned out AMAZING and honestly lamb might be my new go-to for Mock Chicken Legs forever.
I sure you hope you enjoy it as much as we did! PS – my video is up on YouTube, don’t forget to take a look and give it a “like” if you get a chance!
Instant Pot Mock Chicken Legs (City Chicken)
- Instant Pot
- 1.5 lbs Ground Pork
- 1 lb Ground Veal or Lamb (we used lamb which worked great)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Brown or Yellow Mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 An Onion Diced
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 Egg (for meat)
- Skewers cut to fit in your instant pot
- 4 Eggs (for wash)
- 1.5 cups Plain Bread Crumbs
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Corn Starch
- Mix in a medium to large mixing bowl the following: salt, pepper, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, onion, Italian seasoning, 1 egg, ground pork, and ground lamb (or veal)
- Form chicken leg shaped patties
- Push one end of the skewer about halfway into the patty
- Use your hands to form a chicken leg shape around the skewer (repeat to use all of your meat mixture)
- Beat 4 eggs with light salt and pepper on a plate
- Dump (and spread out) 1.5 cups of bread crumbs on a different plate
- Wash your Mock Chicken Legs in the egg and then carefully press the legs into the bread crumbs (complete this step with all meat skewers)
- Use a paper towel to rub down the inside of your instant pot with ~2 Tbsp of olive oil
- Add 1 cup of water to the pot
- Stand all of the formed mock chicken legs up inside the instant pot
- Lid, seal, and pressure cook for 8 minutes
- Allow the Instant Pot to Natural Pressure Release for another 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, release the remaining pressure manually
- Plate all Mock Chicken Legs (keep in microwave or covered while following the next steps to create gravy)
- Mix 2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 4 Tbsp of cooking fluid from the instant pot to create a slurry
- Press Sauté and mix in your cornstarch slurry
- Add a little salt and pepper, stir, and taste to make sure your gravy is perfect
- Stir and simmer until the gravy is velvety, then cancel your saute mode on your instant pot
- Pour as much gravy as you want on your plated Mock Chicken Legs and dig in!
If you are ever interested in our start read this (PREPARING TO LIVE TINY) post! It will give you a little insight into our life… and you can sorta see our old house.
PS – We were not able to make daddy’s famous fried potatoes. However, we did make some air fried potato chips that were a pretty darn good substitute.
Check us out on YouTube!
If you like the video above, make sure to check out our YouTube channel. Every view and subscription ensures that we can keep making more content for you for free!
Also, you can always find us and easily locate recipes, blogs, etc… on our Pinterest Page.