I love have a large arsenal of Asian Instant Pot recipes at my disposal. Many of the recipes use the same ingredients (or most of the same ingredients) which allows me to save time and money!
Some really nice things about this recipe are: 1. kids love it 2. it’s easy 3. you can double up the recipe if needed for leftovers (or bigger families!) 4.pretty much anything can be added as a side.
See, I told you it was kid approved – haha.
The only downside to this recipe is it does call for several of the ingredients to be mixed in different bowls prior to being added to the Instant Pot. So be prepared for a few more dishes than normal. I mean, it’s 1 or 2, but I’m all about less chores, so I figured I should give you a heads up.
Instant Pot Sweet Sesame Chicken Ingredients
- 1 Pound Chicken (cut into bite size pieces)
- 2 Tbsp. Sesame Oil
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 Cup soy sauce
- 1/4 Cup ketchup
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (Optional – we like some heat!)
- 1/4 Cup honey
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Sesame seeds (Also Optional, but it kinda makes the dish, haha)
Instant Pot Sweet Sesame Chicken Instructions
- Add 1 Tbsn of cornstarch and salt to a medium bowl
- Add chicken and coat evenly on all pieces (feel free to add a little more cornstarch and salt here if needed!)
- Set Instant Pot to sauté & add 1 Tbsp of oil.
- When ready, add chicken. Cook until chicken is golden brown. Roughly 3-4 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix the soy sauce, ketchup, and (optional) red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- Pour the above mix into the instant pot once the chicken is browned. Mix to cover all pieces of chicken evenly.
- Turn off sauté, add lid, and set instant pot to pressure cook for 3 minutes (make sure to move the valve to “sealing”).
- Mix 1 Tbsp of cornstarch and 2 Tbsp of water in a bowl
- When the Instant Pot beeps that it is done, manually release the pressure.
- Remove the lid and add the honey and 1 Tbsp of sesame oil. Mix throughly.
- Press sauté on the Instant Pot and when the sauce starts to bubble add the cornstarch and water.
- Let sauce thicken to your preferred consistency.
- After serving, don’t forget to sprinkle with sesame seeds (add to you liking!)
- Enjoy! <3
As you can see from our picture, we made a fried rice to go along with our chicken, but the possibilities are endless. I mean, if you are my kids, you’ll just eat the chicken and leave no leftovers. 😉